Ben Dachepalli is dedicated to understanding each client’s business to provide comprehensive strategies that go beyond legal issues, disputes or contracts.
Ben serves as chair of the firm’s Construction & Design Practice Group. He has extensive experience negotiating and drafting construction related agreements, and litigating complex construction claims regarding contract disputes, construction defects, design errors, surety bonds and construction liens.
Ben is board certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar. He was selected as national coordinating counsel for a large, publicly traded REIT with projects all across the United States. In this role, Ben advises and counsels this client on matters that affect their multi-family apartment projects across their entire portfolio and addresses legal issues that are critical to executing the company’s strategic business goals.
As a former board member of the Construction Industry Licensing Board for the State of Florida, Ben is also experienced in licensing matters and disputes for contractors and subcontractors.
Outside the office, Ben enjoys snow skiing with his wife and two children. You will also find him around numerous fields and gyms cheering and coaching his sons who are active in football, basketball and Little League baseball.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Construction (2015-2021)
- Construction Industry Licensing Board (2013-2014): Member, Gubernatorial Appointment
- Florida Super Lawyers (2011-2021)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009-2010)
- Super Lawyers Business Edition (2012-2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2021)
Credentials & Experience
Purdue University, B.S., 1994
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D., 1997
- Colorado Supreme Court, Judicial Fellowship, Justice Rebecca Love Jones
- National Trial and Appellate Moot Court Teams
- ATLA National Trial Advocacy Competition, Semi-Finalist
- Champion Barrister's Club Appellate Competition
- Hoffman Cup Trial Competition, Best Orator
- Transportation Law Journal, General Editor
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All State Courts in Florida
Federal District Court, Middle District of Florida
All State and Federal Courts in Colorado
Representative experience as counsel for:
- Publicly-traded real estate investment trust and general contractor against associations, insurers and subcontractors in several multi-million dollar construction defect cases regarding construction of apartment and/or condominium projects.
- Construction manager regarding extra work and delay claims for the construction of $107 million waste-to-energy facility.
- Publicly-traded national home builder in $10 million arbitration regarding construction defect and fiduciary claims for a subdivision of 1,500 single family homes.
- Publicly-traded manufacturer of construction materials in $60 million delay claim case regarding design and construction of a manufacturing facility.
- Publicly-traded supplier of raw water transmission pipe products in $20 million construction defect and delay claim case regarding the expansion of a county government’s water treatment facility.
- Private developers regarding the construction of a $70 million luxury beachfront hotel and resort.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Indo-US Chamber of Commerce
- Chair of Board (2018-present)
- Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Leadership Florida, Class XXXI
- West Central Florida Regional Council
- Leadership Team (2014-2016)
- Board of Directors (2013-2014)
- Construction Industry Licensing Board: Member, Appointed by Governor (2013-2014)
- Children's Dream Fund
- Board of Directors (2009-present)
- Board Chair (2011-2014)
- First Team (2006-present)
- Blu Magazine's 10 Leading Men of Tampa Bay (2012)
- 13 Ugly Men Foundation, Inc.: Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- ABA Forum on the Construction Industry: Division 12, Owners & Lenders
- The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Construction Law Committee
- Hillsborough County Bar Association: Construction Law Committee
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy: Basic Trial Skills
- Florida Council for Public Private Partnerships
- The Tampa Housing Authority
News & Insights
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 11.4.20Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 4.25.19Firm News
- 3.25.19Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 11.20.17Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 6.30.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 5.26.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 6.13.16Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 5.19.15Firm News
- 6.19.13Firm News
- 8.13.12Firm News
- 3.28.12Firm News
- 3.20.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- “Construction May Be ‘Essential’ But It Is Not Immune – Tips to Mitigate Against COVID-Related Delays”, Miami Daily Business Review, June 16, 2020
- "Indicate Precisely What You Mean To Say: Contract Provisions That Work." Co-Author, American Bar Association. October 2016.
- “Contract Negotiations for Owners, GCs and Subcontractors in the Millennial Generation: What Type of Relationship Are You Building?” Speaker, American Bar Association, April 2015.
- "Fundamentals of Construction Law." Speaker, American Bar Association. November 2013.
- "AIA Contract Documents: Best Practices and Recent Trends." Speaker, June 2012.
- "Tricks and Traps in Construction Law." Speaker, Electrical Council of Florida, April 2012.
- "Understanding Administrative Boards of Contract Appeals Proceedings." Speaker, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, October 2011.
- "Impact of Bankruptcy on a Construction Project." Speaker, Construction Financial Management Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, March 2010.
- "Fundamentals of Construction Law." Speaker, American Bar Association, November 2009.
- "The Owner's Duties in a Construction Project." Speaker, Lorman Seminar, February 2008.
- All is Not Lost: Enforcing Judgments Against Liability Insurers. (February 2006). HCBA Lawyer.
- Latent Defect Loophole for Surety Companies. (February 2004). HCBA Lawyer.