Emily Morrell has an approachable style and clients appreciate her practicality and eye toward business-minded decisions.
Emily’s practice primarily involves the preparation, review, analysis, and negotiation of construction and design contracts and the resolution of disputes relating to construction defects, liens, bond claims, and insurance. She represents owners, developers, contractors, construction managers, design professionals, subcontractors, and suppliers in all phases of the construction process.
Emily’s litigation experience includes Commercial General Liability insurance coverage disputes, complex commercial lien foreclosure matters, delay claims, payment and performance bond issues, and collection actions. Emily has also represented clients in various administrative matters, appearing before the Construction Industry Licensing Board and the Florida Homeowners’ Construction Recovery Fund board.
Outside of the office, Emily enjoys spending time with her husband and daughter, cooking Southern food, and watching college football.
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Ones to Watch (2021)
Credentials & Experience
Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2010
University of Tennessee, B.A., 2007, Highest Honors
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference Young Professional Advisory Board: Chair, 2015
News & Insights
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 7.21.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 4.15.13Firm News
Articles & Publications
- Florida Construction Lien Law, Associated Builders & Contractors – Florida Gulf Coast Chapter, July 16, 2020
- “Collection Strategies,” National Association of Credit Management, Southeast Roofing Suppliers Trade Group, August 17, 2018; Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing Suppliers Industry Trade Group, November 14, 2018; Wholesale Electrical Suppliers Trade Group, March 20, 2019
- Navigating and Defending Construction Defect Claims, Associated Builders and Contractors - Florida Gulf Coast Chapter, May 18, 2018 (co-presenter, Erik Raines)
- "Statutes of Limitation and Repose Applicable to Construction Claims: An Update and Refresher on Florida Law, Practice Pointers, and Traps for the Unwary." HCBA Construction Section Presentation, October, 2015.
- Eleventh Circuit is Quick on the Trigger. (July, 2015). HCBA Lawyer Magazine, 25, 6.
- “Indemnity Lawsuits – Being Practical While Chasing the Money” (Michelle Smith Cotto, Jodi Smith, Wendy Clime, Gregory P. Brown, co-authors/presenters). Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, April, 2015.
- "The Future of Insurance and Bonding." (Timothy C. Ford, B. Michael Clark, Jr., co-authors). ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, April, 2013.
- "Litigating Post-Turnover HOA and Condo Association Bond Claims." (Gregory P. Brown, Jeremy Medeiros, co-authors). Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, April, 2013.
- "Understanding Administrative Boards of Contract Appeals Proceedings." (Ben Dachepalli, The Honorable Paul Williams, co-presenters). ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, October, 2011.
- "From Chinese Ports to American Courts, and Beyond: An Overview of Chinese Drywall in the United States." (Rocco Cafaro, Lara Tibbals, co-presenters). ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Annual Spring CLE and Leadership Forum, May, 2011.