Logan Murphy is known for crafting the most thorough, persuasive, and well-written legal arguments to help clients prevail.
An experienced writer and advocate, Logan focuses on appeals, critical motions, and high-value complex litigation. His litigation experience is broad, representing individuals, businesses, law firms, and professionals in a wide variety of industries. In his years at the firm, Logan has handled just about every type of tort, contract, and insurance claim. He practices regularly in federal court, as both lead and local counsel, drawing on his experience as a law clerk to Judge James D. Whittemore of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
In addition to his litigation practice, Logan is committed to serving the legal profession. In 2020, he led the world’s largest young lawyer organization as Chair of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division.
Outside the office, Logan enjoys reading, golf, running, Gator sports, and spending time with his wife and dog. He spends much of his free time reading about wine, and he holds a Level 2 certification in wine and spirits through the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) in London.
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division (2015)
- Star of the Year (2014-2015)
- Star of the Quarter, Spring 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2015-2019)
- Tampa Bay Business Journal 40 Under 40 (2019)
Credentials & Experience
University of Florida, B.S., 2006, cum laude
- J. Wayne Reitz Scholar
- Florida Blue Key
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2009
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
- Moot Court Board
- Jessup International Moot Court Competition
- Cecil D. Branstetter Litigation & Dispute Resolution Program
- American Bar Association: Immediate Past Chair, Young Lawyers Division, Former Young Lawyer Liaison to and Member of the Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability
- American Bar Foundation: Board of Directors
- Young Lawyers Division: Chair
- Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability
- Associate and Program Advisor
- YLD Liaison (2012-2014)
- The Florida Bar
- Appellate Practice Section
- Young Lawyers Division: Bench Brief Author, Orseck Moot Court Competition
- Hillsborough County Bar Association: Appellate Practice Committee
- Federal Bar Association Tampa Bay Chapter
- The Federalist Society, Tampa Bay Chapter
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Obtaining summary judgment for a major health care system on claims brought under the False Claims Act seeking over $100 million.
- Representing an international steel manufacturer in 17 consolidated claims resulting from the collapse of the Florida International University – Sweetwater pedestrian bridge in March 2018, and in more than 40 consolidated claims resulting from the collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans in October 2019.
- Arguing and earning dismissal on personal jurisdiction grounds of all legal malpractice claims against an Illinois lawyer.
- Representing a national law firm in negligence, fraud, and fraudulent transfer claims seeking over $100 million resulting from the bankruptcy of a national nursing home chain, including obtaining dismissal of some claims, favorably settling the rest, and defending the settlement.
- Serving as local counsel to an international drug manufacturer in statewide litigation.
- Prevailing in an appeal on behalf of a homebuilder, affirming a lower court’s judgment enforcing Florida’s statute of repose for construction claims.
- Filing petitions on behalf of landowners and developers to review adverse zoning and code enforcement decisions.
- Briefing several appeals pro bono on behalf of the Guardian ad Litem program.
News & Insights
- 6.3.21Firm News
- 8.19.19Firm News
- 1.11.19Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 2.17.17Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
Articles & Publications
- Logan Murphy, The State of the Lawyers’ Professional Liability Insurance Market, 33 Law. Man. Prof. Conduct 248 (May 3, 2017).
- Logan Murphy, Timing is Everything in Law Firms’ Claims for Liability Insurance Coverage, 31 Law Man. Prof. Conduct 227 (Apr. 22, 2015).
- Logan Murphy & Melissa Lessell, When Your Client Is a Lawyer, The Young Lawyer (Spring 2015).
- Monthly contributions to the American Bar Association Lawyers Professional Liability Consortium eDigest (as part of the ABA Standing Committee on Lawyers Professional Liability).
- When Your Client Is a Lawyer, The Young Lawyer (Spring 2015), by Logan Murphy & Melissa Lessell
- Panelist, The Law Clerk Experience, Federal Bar Association Tampa Bay Chapter (July 17, 2015)
- Moderator, What You Need to Know About Practicing in the Middle District of Florida, Federal Bar Association Tampa Bay Chapter (July 22, 2015)
- Timing Is Everything in Law Firms’ Claims for Liability Insurance Coverage, ABA/BNA Lawyers’ Manual on Professional Conduct, Current Reports, 31 Law. Man. Prof. Conduct 227 (Apr. 22, 2015).
- Presenter and Author (with Melissa Lessell), Top 10 Legal Malpractice Pitfalls & Ethical Quandaries, Spring 2014 ABA YLD Conference (May 2014).
- Moderator, Strategies for Career Development, Spring 2014 National Legal Malpractice Conference (May 2014).
- “Ethics 20/20: The Impact of Technology,” THE VOICE vol. 11, issue 33 (Aug. 2012).
- “Tread Carefully: Preservation of Error in Florida,” HCBA LAWYER 18 (Nov. 2011).
- A Lawyer's Update: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Litigation. (J. Logan Murphy, Jeffrey Wilcox, co-authors). (October 2011). For The Defense, 53, 41.
- Monthly contributions to the ABA Lawyers’ Professional Liability Consortium eDigest of Cases.
- Win-Development, LLC v. Barbeque Integrated, Inc., 284 So. 3d 1054 (Fla. 5th DCA 2019) (per curiam).
- March v. JG64, LLC, 294 So. 3d 281 (Fla. 2d DCA 2019) (per curiam).
- DeJour v. Coral Springs KGB, Inc., 293 So. 3d 502 (Fla. 4th DCA 2020).
- In re S.E., 249 So. 3d 764 (Fla. 2d DCA 2018) (pro bono).
- JC Money Center v. Norris Systems, LLC, 78 So. 3d 544 (Fla. 2d DCA 2012).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 8739056 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 3595772 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2017 WL 1386838 (M.D. Fla. 2017).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 7232436 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 1546504 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 3917513 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 4467213 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- Bingham v. BayCare Health System, 2016 WL 5106946 (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- RxStrategies, Inc. v. CVS Pharmacy, 2019 WL 7584729 (M.D. Fla. 2019).
- Harrell v. Ryland Group, 277 So. 3d 292 (Fla. 1st DCA 2019).
- Ideal Protein of America, Inc. v. Allife Consulting, Inc., 2019 WL 1650021 (M.D. Fla. 2019).
- Ideal Protein of America, Inc. Allife Consulting, Inc., 2019 WL 2358832 (M.D. Fla. 2019).
- Harris v. Prison Health Services, 706 Fed. Appx. 945 (11th Cir. 2017) (pro bono).
- Dugan v. FNU Scott, 2019 WL 4737609 (M.D. Fla. 2019) (pro bono).
- Sayers Construction, LLC v. Timberline Construction, Inc., --- So. 3d ---, 2020 WL 3443268 (Fla. 3d DCA 2020).
- Lindenau v. Lundeen, 2018 WL 1152403 (M.D. Fla. 2018).
- Scharrer v. Troutman Sanders, LLP (In re Fundamental Long Term Care), 542 B.R. 299 (Bankr. M.D. Fla. 2015).
- Estate of Juanita Jackson v. Troutman Sanders LLP, No. 8:16-cv-2177-EAK (M.D. Fla. 2016).
- In re C.E., 263 So. 3d 202 (Fla. 2d DCA 2019) (pro bono).
- Hepco Data, LLC v. Hepco Medical, LLC, No. 2D19-2123 (Fla. 2d DCA 2019) (denying petition for writ of prohibition).
- Allergan Finance, LLC v. Florida, Office of the Attorney General, 275 So. 3d 1231 (Fla. 2d DCA 2019) (granting petition for writ of prohibition).
- Kass v. City of Tampa, No. 19-CA-1835 (Fla. 13th Jud Cir. 2020) (reversing decision of the Code Enforcement Special Magistrate).
- Sayers Construction, LLC v. Timberline Construction, Inc., --- F.3d ---, 2020 WL 5848626 (5th Cir. 2020).