Tim Ford has experience representing owners, developers, contractors, construction managers, design professionals and subcontractors in all phases of the construction process, with an emphasis on complex construction litigation. He currently serves on the firm's Management Committee.
He is an active member of the Forum on Construction Law of the American Bar Association, as well as other state and local construction law organizations. Tim has served as chair of Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens) of the Forum on Construction Law, as well as co-chair of the Construction Law Section of the Hillsborough County Bar Association. He has also authored articles and regularly speaks at seminars on various construction law topics.
Tim is active in the Tampa Bay community and a graduate of Leadership Tampa’s Class of 2016. He regularly volunteers with a homeless legal assistance clinic known as H.E.L.P. (Homeless Experience Legal Protection). Outside of the office, Tim enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter, and son, as well as the family’s two Labrador Retrievers.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Construction (2017-2021)
- Chambers USA - Up and Coming (2016)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2012-2021)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2011)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (2011, 2012, 2015-2016)
- Super Lawyers Business Edition (2013-2015)
- Tampa Chamber of Commerce Leadership Tampa, Graduate (2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2022)
Credentials & Experience
University of Florida, B.A., 1995, Honors
University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 1998
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Notable representative experience as counsel for:
- Prime contractor in a $46 million defective seawall claim reaching favorable settlement on eve of 3-week jury trial.
- Publicly-traded REIT and general contractor in $13 million construction defect claim stemming from a condominium conversion, including significant third party claims against subcontractors and their insurance carriers.
- Self-insured national stucco subcontractor in a multi-million dollar condominium defect claim and successfully spearheading pre-suit settlement involving novel stucco repair plan.
- National lumber supplier in a $40 million complex multi-party construction defect claim involving building envelope and structural defect claims in 52-building condominium project.
- National homebuilders in various construction matters, including multi-county litigation involving exterior stucco finishes.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- H.E.L.P. (Homeless Experience Legal Protection), Pro Bono Volunteer Lawyer
- Bay Area Legal Services, Intake Lawyer
- Champions for Children (formerly known as The Child Abuse Council), Member
- ABA Forum on Construction Law
- ABA Forum on Construction Law, Co-Chair of 2016 Fall Program (Austin, TX)
- Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens), Chair (2016-2018)
- Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens), Steering Committee Member (since 2008)
- Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens), Membership Chair (2015-2016)
- Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens), Publications Chair (2012-2015)
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Construction Law Committee
- Chapter 558 Revision Subcommittee, Member
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association: Construction Law Section, Co-Chair (2011-2012)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy: Basic Trial Skills
- Forum on Construction Law: Governing Committee
News & Insights
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 6.23.21Firm News
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 5.1.19Firm News
- 4.25.19Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 5.26.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 6.13.16Firm News
- 5.25.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 8.3.15Firm News
- 7.9.15Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 7.15.13Firm News
- 7.6.12Firm News
- 3.20.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- Quarterly Newsletter, Editor/Author, Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens), ABA Forum on Construction Law, 2012-2015.
- "The Future of Insurance and Bonding." Speaker and Co-Author, ABA Forum on Construction Law, Annual Meeting, 2013.
- "State of Privileges." Co-Author, ABA Forum on Construction Law, Annual Meeting, 2011.
- "Avoiding Risk: Contracts and Insurance." Speaker, Bouchard Insurance Construction Forum, 2016.
- Hill Ward Henderson Construction Law and Real Estate Client Seminar. Speaker, 2009-2011, 2014.
- "Chapter 558 Construction Defect Claims." Speaker, HCBA Construction Law Seminar, 2010.
- "Construction Claims in Florida - Chapter 558 and Contract Claims Procedures." Speaker, Lorman Seminar, 2008.
- "Construction Claims in Florida - Chapter 558 and Contract Claims." Speaker, 2007.
- What is an 'Obvious Manifestation' of a Latent Defect. (June 2005). HCBA Lawyer Magazine.