John Connery is practice chair of the firm’s Corporate & Tax Group. He has a diverse transactional practice, with an emphasis on advising family offices, venture capital funds, companies, angel investors and private equity funds and their portfolio companies on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, growth capital investments, joint ventures, fund formations and recapitalizations. John advises investors, developers and property managers on real estate joint ventures and regularly serves as outside general counsel to growing, middle market companies. He has substantial experience in structuring and tax planning for transactions.
John acts as counsel to a number of institutional private equity and real estate investment and development clients, including KLH Capital, Mangrove Equity Partners, Clearwell Group, The Ferrante Group, Parkstone Growth Partners, Meridian Development Group, Landeavor, Fairbourne Properties, Third Lake Partners and Third Lake Capital.
He is a Certified Public Accountant in Florida. Prior to joining the firm, John worked as an audit associate with Arthur Andersen in its Tampa office and practiced tax law in the Chicago office of the international law firm Mayer Brown.
John is a founder and member of the Board of Directors for Bayshore Project, Inc., a Florida not-for-profit corporation that promotes health and fitness of middle school children through the creation of a middle school distance running community in South Tampa.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Certified Public Accountant, Florida
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (2016-2022)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Tax (2014-2015)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2010-2013, 2020-2022)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite - Up and Comers (2007-2008)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2023)
Credentials & Experience
University of Florida, B.S., 1993: Accounting
University of South Florida, 1994: Master of Accountancy
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1998, High Honors
- Order of the Coif
- Chicago-Kent Law Review: Executive Articles Editor
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
The Illinois Bar
- PainTEQ, a medical device company, from its formation in a variety of contractual, intellectual property, governance and strategic matters.
- KLH Capital in its investment in Mid-State Industrial Maintenance, Inc. ("Mid-State") and Mid-State in connection with its recapitalization with CenterGate Capital.
- Fairbourne Properties in its joint venture with Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association to buy and manage Town Square Las Vegas, a 1.2 million square foot retail center near the Las Vegas Strip.
- McNeel International in its sale of Olefinas, a leading agricultural plastics company with operations in Guatemala and Mexico to Coveris Holdings S.A.
- Digarc, a Lakeland, Florida e-catalog and curriculum management solutions provider, in a growth capital investment by Serent Capital, a San Francisco private equity fund.
- King Engineering in the sale of a majority equity interest to Kain Capital, a New York private equity fund.
- Plexcera Therapeutics in its restructuring and formation of a new biopharmaceutical company with Roivant Sciences Ltd.
- A family office in its equity investments in senior living and memory care facilities.
- Third Lake Capital in its investment in One St. Petersburg, a 41-story condominium tower in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- KLH Capital in its investment in ANS Distributing and sale of its investment in ANS Distributing to Jones & Frank.
- Marxent Labs in raising growth capital from Detroit Venture Partners and other investors.
- Fairbourne Properties, LLC and certain of its affiliates, in a joint venture with Harbert United States Real Estate Fund VI, L.P. in connection with the acquisition and development of a 358,615 square foot lifestyle shopping center located in Brentwood, California
- Meridian Development Group in its investment in, partnership restructuring and management of an approximate 1,000,000 square foot warehouse facility
- Corporate and tax expert witness in real estate joint venture litigation.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Leadership Tampa
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Global Board of Directors
- Director (2017-2020)
- Executive Committee of Board of Directors (2018-2020)
- Tampa Bay Chapter
- President (2011-2013)
- Board of Directors
- ACG Florida Capital Connection: Co-Chair
- Global Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tax Section
- The Florida Bar: Tax Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association: Tax Section
News & Insights
- 8.18.22Firm News
- 7.1.22Firm News
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 6.23.21Firm News
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.22.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 8.5.19Firm News
- 6.24.19Firm News
- 4.25.19Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 7.23.18Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 2.1.18Firm News
- 10.5.17Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 5.26.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 5.19.15Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 7.15.13Firm News
- 6.3.13Firm News
- 10.2.12Firm News
- 3.20.12Firm News
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA. Legal rankings are based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. Individual lawyers are ranked in their practice area(s) based on legal knowledge and experience, ability, effectiveness and client service.
"He's an extremely knowledgeable lawyer." Client quote, Chambers USA 2022
"He is a smart deal lawyer who is meticulous with the details of matters." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021
"He's smart, practical and solves problems." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021