David Keel's experience in the field, both for an HVAC contractor and a large commercial contractor, helps him provide sound and practical legal advice to clients.
David’s practice involves representing the construction industry, including owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in litigation and transactional matters. David’s practice primarily involves the preparation of design and construction contracts and litigation of claims relating to development, design and construction.
David’s litigation experience involves lien foreclosure actions, delay claims, breach of contract claims, construction defect claims, and payment and performance bond claims. David is also well-versed in defending clients against OSHA citations as well as matters before the Construction Industry Licensing Board (“CILB”).
He is an active member in the Florida Gulf Coast Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors and the Hillsborough County Bar Association.
David began his legal career as a Deputy District Attorney for the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Alabama where he prosecuted misdemeanors and felonies. Prior to joining Hill Ward Henderson, he worked at an international construction law firm. His transactional practice included contract review, drafting and negotiation. As well as construction litigation - including defects, lien foreclosure, bonds, OSHA defense, contractor licensing defense, and building code violation defense.
In his spare time, David enjoys spending time with his wife and young daughter, hunting, fishing and cheering on the Auburn Tigers.
- The Best Lawyers in America® : Ones to Watch (2021-2024)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2019-2023)
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite (2018 -2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2019 – 2021)
Credentials & Experience
Auburn University, B.S., 2008
Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, J.D., 2013
- Scholar of Merit Award - Negotiation
The Florida Bar
The Alabama Bar
The Pennsylvania Bar
Florida State Courts
Alabama State Courts
Pennsylvania State Courts
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Lead trial counsel in successful representation of roofing contractor in trial that concluded with a favorable verdict.
- Lead trial counsel representing a state-wide roofing contractor as a plaintiff in prosecuting dozens of breach of contract lawsuits against non-paying customers throughout Florida.
- Represented a general contractor in litigation involving contract payment dispute and construction defect allegations.
- Represented multiple national roofing contractors in multi-million dollar contract negotiations.
- Defended multimillion dollar roofing contractor against breach of contract claims alleged by owner.
- Represented numerous contractors through the OSHA citation process.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- South Tampa Family YMCA: Advisory Board Member
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. - Florida Gulf Coast Chapter
- Young Professionals Member
- NexGen Leadership Class of 2019
- HCBA Bar Leadership Institute Class of 2022-2023
Indo-Us Chamber of Commerce: Member
Bay Area Legal Services: Mentor Panel
- Hyde Park United Methodist Church: Member
- Black Dagger Military Hunt Club, Inc
- Hillsborough County Bar Association: Construction Law Section
American Bar Association
- Space Coast Licensed Roofers Association (SCLRA): General Counsel (2019-2021)
- Treasure Coast Roofing and Sheet Metal Association: General Counsel (2019-2021)
- Tampa Bay Auburn Club
News & Insights
- 8.17.23Firm News
- 6.27.23Firm News
- 8.29.22Firm News
- 8.18.22Firm News
- 7.1.22Firm News
- 5.6.22Firm News
Articles & Publications
- “Miller Time: Bonds, Sovereign Immunity, and Public Projects,” Roofing Magazine, November 2020
- North Texas Roofing Contractors Association (NTRCA), Construction Contracts and Adapting to Material Shortages and Rising Costs (Speaker)
- Space Coast Licensed Roofing Association (SCLRA), Construction Contracts (Speaker)
Space Coast Licensed Roofing Association (SCLRA), Florida Lien and Bond Law (Speaker)
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), Gulf Coast Chapter, Construction Law Case Updates (Speaker)