The Class Action and Complex Mass Tort Litigation practice at Hill Ward Henderson involves a variety of class actions, mass torts and multi-district litigation in courts throughout Florida and in other jurisdictions at both the trial and appellate levels. We represent clients in these matters in a range of industries, including consumer goods, financial and professional services, building products, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automobiles and industrial equipment.
Our practice in this area has grown tremendously in recent years, in step with the nationwide increase in class action and mass tort filings. The team we have assembled is uniquely qualified for these matters, drawing on the extensive practical experience of each attorney to form an efficient, knowledgeable and integrated group. In addition to actively litigating these high stakes matters, our lawyers are well positioned to work with clients both before and after litigation to address and confront the ever-changing legal landscape.
- Representation of consumer products distributor in resolution of MDL class actions alleging conspiracies to establish pricing policies in violation of federal and state antitrust laws.
- Defeated class certification, after two-week evidentiary hearing, of putative class action against global industrial company seeking damages for airborne contamination from former manufacturing site.
- Representation of Fortune 50 global manufacturer in class action seeking damages for groundwater contamination, and obtaining reversal of class certification from Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Precedent-setting representation of retailer in class action litigation arising from payment systems data breach, obtaining dismissal in federal district court, affirmed by Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of publicly traded hospitality and entertainment companies against putative class actions by customers and franchisees, and obtaining plaintiffs’ voluntary dismissals prior to class certification.
- Current representation in Florida of financial services company in nationwide litigation with plaintiffs seeking MDL and alleging business practices claims for damages and injunctive relief.
- Obtained dismissal of shareholder class action seeking to enjoin sale of industrial manufacturer in transaction valued at over $1.5 billion.
- Current representation of an international pharmaceutical manufacturer in statewide litigation brought by the state attorney general.
- Ongoing representation of one of the largest steel manufacturers and suppliers in the world in mass casualty cases resulting from structures that collapsed during construction.
- Representation of an international pharmaceutical distributor in over 100 Florida lawsuits filed against it (and the product manufacturer) regarding an allegedly defective vaccine, and the resulting multidistrict litigation proceedings.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of bet-the-company class action alleging unfair business practices against financial company after removal to federal court under CAFA.
- Successfully removed to federal court under CAFA and defeated remand of class action alleging claims against professional services firms arising from Ponzi scheme.
- Representation of building products manufacturer and distributor in obtaining voluntary dismissal in toxic tort putative class action alleging airborne contamination near one of Florida’s largest cities.