Bret Hamlin practices primarily in the areas of employee benefits, deferred compensation and trusts. Prior to entering the private practice of law, he provided plan design and consulting, third-party administration and investment, as well as retirement plan education services for clients.
Bret represents large, medium and small employers with respect to many employee benefit matters, including both single employer and multiple employer qualified retirement plans, deferred compensation and welfare benefit plan matters. A significant portion of his practice involves plan compliance, ERISA fiduciary best practices and plan corrections under IRS and Department of Labor compliance resolution programs. He also represents clients with respect to IRS plan examinations and Department of Labor plan investigations.
Bret is an active member of the Employee Benefits Committee of the Tax Section of Taxation of the American Bar Association, the Tampa Bay Pension Council, the Florida West Coast Employee Benefits Council, and the National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (NAPEO). He is also a past president of the Florida West Coast Employee Benefits Council.
Bret frequently speaks to both professional groups and plan sponsor groups regarding a variety of employee benefit topics.
He is active in a number of community and civic organizations. Bret devotes a great deal of time to United States Masters Swimming and its local and regional affiliates.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2022)
- Employee Benefits Law
- 2021 Tampa Employee Benefits (ERISA) Lawyer of the Year
- 2017 Tampa Employee Benefits (ERISA) Lawyer of the Year
- 2014 Tampa Employee Benefits (ERISA) Lawyer of the Year
Credentials & Experience
University of Akron, B.S., 1985
University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1991
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Florida West Coast Employee Benefits Council
- Tampa Bay Pension Council, Co-Chair
- American Bar Association: Section of Taxation, Employment Benefits Committee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association Tax Section: Incoming Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee
- Employee Benefits Committee of the ABA Tax Section
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2021)
News & Insights
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 7.17.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 7.31.12Firm News