Ethen Shapiro has prevailed in jury trials for national and local healthcare providers, and has obtained important appellate decisions related to punitive damages for industry clients.
Ethen’s focus is in the defense of medical malpractice, hospital liability, nursing home and long-term care facilities, professional liability, premises liability, and handling a diverse array of personal injury claims. He has successfully defended hospitals, physicians, nursing homes, and pharmaceutical companies at the local, state and national levels.
Ethen has been active in professional activities, including service as program chair, faculty member and invited speaker with the Defense Research Institute’s (DRI) Medical Liability and Healthcare Law Committee. Locally, he has served as acting chief coordinator for the Hillsborough County High School Mock Trial Competition and as a youth basketball coach. In law school, Ethen received the Pro Bono Service Award for dedication and service to those unable to afford legal services, as well as the prestigious American Jurisprudence (“Book”) Award for excellence in Intellectual Property.
Outside the office, Ethen enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar, golf, hockey and basketball, and traveling in his spare time.
- Florida Super Lawyers (2014-2022)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2010-2013)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (2011, 2015-2016, 2019-2022)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite - Up and Comers (2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2021-2023)
Credentials & Experience
University of Western Ontario, B.A., 1997
Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2003, Honors: Journal of Transnational Law and Policy, Editor
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
U.S. District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- Obtained a significant trial victory for our large, multi-national laboratory client. Held in Jacksonville, Florida, this jury trial included a defendant physician who was accused of failing to diagnose cancer that resulted in the patient’s death. The damages sought were in excess of $5 Million.
- Successfully represented our large, multi-national laboratory client in a medical malpractice defense verdict. Following a seven-day trial in Florida’s Fourth Judicial Circuit, the jury came back within just 42 minutes with a unanimous verdict in favor of our client.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Leadership Tampa (Class of 2017)
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee
- Program Chair 2014
- Program Vice-Chair 2013
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee
- Florida Hospital Association
News & Insights
- 8.18.22Firm News
- 7.1.22Firm News
- 6.29.22Firm News
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.22.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 2.26.20Firm News
- 6.24.19Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 7.9.15Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 4.15.14Firm News
- 3.20.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- "Anatomy of a Pediatric Medical Malpractice Lawsuit from Injury to Verdict," presentation given at Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2014, Lake Buena Vista, Florida. (Rive Kamat, Steven Vinick, co-presenters). July 2014.
- "Tips for Young Litigators: Establishing Good Relations with Your Claims Professional," panelist at the Medical Liability and Health Care Law Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana. March 2012.
- "A Lawyer's Update: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Litigation." (J. Logan Murphy, Jeffrey Wilcox, co-authors). October 2011. For The Defense, 53, 41.
- "Helpful Hints and Practical Pointers for Young Litigators: Recruiting, Preparing and Deposing Expert Witnesses," panelist at the Medical Liability and Health Care Law Seminar, San Francisco, California. March 2011.
- Dawn Porta v. Quest Diagnostics, Inc. 16-2018-CA-000186, Duval Co, FL. (Defense Verdict for Quest Diagnostics).
- Stacey Santangelo v. Ruffolo, Hooper and Assoc. Inc., 292015CA001646A001HC, Hillsborough Co, FL (Defense Verdict for Pathology Group)
- Savelli v. Dr. Hayes, 310 So. 3d 38 (Fla 5th DCA 2021) (Final Summary Judgement for Client/Surgeon).
- Life Care Centers of America v. Estate of Croft,. 299 So. 3d. 588 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020) (Reversing Punitive Damages against Long Term Care Facility).
- Dietrich v. Actavis, Inc., 138 So. 3d 1163 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014) (Affirming Summary Judgment for Drug Manufacturer).
- Metz v. Wyeth LLC --- F.Supp.2d ---- 2012 WL 1058870 8:10-CV-2658-T-27AEP United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. March 28, 2012
- Metz v. Wyeth LLC 830 F.Supp.2d 1291 2011 WL 5826005 8:10-CV-2658-T-27AEP
United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. November 18, 2011
- Metz v. Wyeth, LLC Not Reported in F.Supp.2d 2011 WL 5024448 8:10-CV-2658-T-27AEP United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. October 20, 2011