Nicholas Outman practices in the areas of venture capital and private equity, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, and corporate governance. His principal focus is on representing venture capital investors and high-growth startups in investment and capital raising transactions at all sizes and stages.
Nick also regularly counsels early-stage startups and angel investors in preparing for, structuring and executing equity and debt investments at the earliest stages, and continues to assist startup, venture/PE-backed, and other private and public companies with general corporate, financing, and commercial matters throughout the business lifecycle.
He also has extensive experience advising private equity funds, private and public companies, and financial institutions in leveraged buyout and recapitalization financings, as well as asset-based, cash flow, and other commercial loans.
Passionate about technology, Nick sits on the firm’s Technology Committee and devotes much of his time outside the office to tinkering with computers and being involved with the area’s technology startup and investing community. He has served as variously as a speaker, panelist, coach, mentor or director at organizations including Florida Venture Forum, Tampa Bay Wave, and Florida-Israel Business Accelerator.
Prior to joining the firm, Nick worked in the Charlotte, North Carolina office of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, LLP, where he focused on banking and financial transactions.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (2020-2021)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2020)
Credentials & Experience
New College of Florida, B.A., 2005
New York University School of Law, J.D., 2008
American Bar Association: Private Equity & Venture Capital Committee
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
North Carolina Bar Association
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representing Homee, an on-demand home services platform, in a $15 million Series B financing led by Forte Ventures and Liberty Mutual Strategic Ventures.
- Representing Washlava, a smartphone-enabled laundry technology company, in a significant equity transaction and strategic partnership with LG Electronics.
- Representing Mize, a leading provider of connected customer experience platform and service lifecycle management software for manufacturers, in a significant equity investment from M33 Growth, a venture and growth stage investment fund.
- Representing Ballast Point Ventures in providing a $5 million growth equity financing of Mailprotector, a cybersecurity company providing a portfolio of cloud-based email security, management, and hosting services.
- Representing Fulcrum Equity Partners in leading a more than $11 million Series B financing of Feathr, a leading provider of marketing technology for associations and event organizers.
- Representing Fulcrum Equity Partners in a $15 million growth equity financing of Digital Hands, an award-winning managed security services provider.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Florida Venture Forum: Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Private Equity & Venture Capital Committee
- Tampa Bay Wave
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Capital & Investor Relations Committee (2019 - Present)
News & Insights
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 1.12.17Firm News
- 2.29.12Firm News
"He is always prepared, gives us valuable insight and has gone above and beyond during negotiations." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021
"He's a knowledgeable and diligent lawyer." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021