In the often rapid pace field of employment law, Gordon Hill strives to be responsive, practical, and strategic while offering “out-of-the-box” solutions for clients’ unique issues.
Gordon’s practice primarily involves employment litigation and counseling, noncompete litigation, trade secret litigation, business litigation, commercial litigation, and drafting of executive employment agreements, noncompete agreements, and employee handbooks and policies.
In his employment practice, Gordon advises, represents and defends corporate clients in a broad spectrum of employment-related issues. He has successfully defended clients in a wide variety of employment-related litigation, and provides proactive counseling and solutions to help clients manage their employees and avoid litigation. Gordon also represents clients in commercial litigation, including noncompete, trade secret, and business litigation. He has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including automotive, banking and credit union, construction, health care, hospitality, information technology, insurance, manufacturing, real estate development, restaurant, retail, software development, and staffing.
Gordon is active in both professional and Bar-related activities, including the Hillsborough County Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute’s Labor & Employment Section. He served on the HCBA’s Board of Directors for ten years and served as President of the approximately 4,000 member HCBA from 2017-2018. Gordon has also served in various roles for DRI, including chair of DRI’s annual employment law seminar in 2017 and seminar vice chair in 2016 and is currently serving as vice chair of the approximately 1,500 member Section. Through this work, Gordon is connected with some of the best defense employment lawyers throughout the country.
Gordon is also active in the Tampa community where he has served on the Boards of Directors of the Hillsborough County Bar Foundation, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay, the Culbreath Bayou Neighborhood Association, and the Robinson High School Foundation. He has been involved with the Vanderbilt Alumni Association for several years. In recognition of his community leadership, Gordon was appointed to serve as an Honorary Commander at MacDill Air Force Base, 6th Air Mobility Wing (2019-present).
Outside the office, Gordon enjoys traveling, exploring America’s national parks, hiking, snow skiing, reading about U.S. and European history, and spending time with his wife and two daughters.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Florida Super Lawyers (2009-2011, 2015-2019, 2021)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009-2011)
- Tampa Bay Business Journal's Book of Lists (2014): One of Tampa Bay's Top Labor & Employment Attorneys
- Tampa Chamber of Commerce Leadership Tampa: (Graduate, 2010)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2022)
- The National Law Review: 2021 Go-To Thought Leader for Florida COVID Legislation
Credentials & Experience
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1993
Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1996: Moot Court Board
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
- President (2017-2018)
- Board of Directors (2010- present): Secretary (2006-2007)
- Young Lawyers Division Board (2001-2004): President (2005-2006)
Federal Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Achieved a zero “verdict” in defense of a client in a two week arbitration featuring allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, noncompete violations, and tortious interference with contracts and business relationships.
- Attained numerous summary judgment and other dismissals in defense of a wide variety of employment-related cases ranging from allegations of sexual assault to enforcing severance agreements to termination of an employee with chronic back problems and complicated intermittent FMLA issues.
- Successfully resolved numerous large, medium and smaller-scale FLSA collective action claims.
- Drafted and negotiated countless executive employment agreements on behalf of both employers and executives.
- Drafted and negotiated countless noncompete and non-disclosure agreements and assisted clients implement best practices and procedures for preserving trade secrets and other confidential information and for protecting client’s business interests.
- Regularly counsel clients in handling difficult and complicated human resources issues ranging from COVID-19 matters, furloughs and layoffs, voluntary early retirement and other severance programs, managing employees seeking FMLA leave and requesting ADA accommodations, and leading/assisting with employers’ internal sexual and racial harassment investigations.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- The Florida Bar: Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- President (2017-2018)
- Young Lawyers Division President (2005-2006)
- Hillsborough County Bar Foundation: Secretary
- Justice William Glenn Terrell Inn of Court
- The First Central Florida American Inn of Court
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay: Board of Directors
- Culbreath Bayou Neighborhood Association: Board of Directors
- Robinson High School Foundation: Board of Director
- Vanderbilt Alumni Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Labor & Employment Section
- Vice Chair
- Annual Seminar Program Chair, Nashville, TN (2016-2017)
- Annual Seminar Program Vice-Chair, Austin, TX (2015-2016)
- Steering Committee (2012-Present)
- Seminar Planning Committee (2011-Present)
- Labor & Employment Section
News & Insights
- 12.28.21Firm News
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 6.22.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 6.16.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 10.14.15Speaking Engagement
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 5.23.13Speaking Engagement
- 5.23.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- Presenter, “Equal Pay Act Issues”, 2019 DRI Annual Meeting, Employment & Labor Law section
- Moderator, “One-on-One Discussion with Chair Victoria Lipnic”, then Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), 2017 DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar
- "Employment Law Check Up - Healthy Policies and Practices." Presenter, Florida Independent Concrete & Associated Products, Inc. Meeting & Educational Session, Orlando, May 26, 2015.
- "Rise of Fair Credit Reporting Act Claims." Presenter, HR Tampa, May 20, 2015.
- "Employee Theft - Deterring, Detecting & What to Do if Your Company Becomes a Victim." Co-Presenter, HR Tampa, May 20, 2015.
- "Employment Law in the Wide World of Sports." Moderator, DRI Employment and Labor Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, May 6-8, 2015.
- "Leaves of Absence and the Florida Medical Leave Act." Presenter, FMLA Update & Overview, Suncoast HR, Clearwater, June 11, 2014.
- "Family & Medical Leave and the ADA - "New" Considerations for Employers." Presenter, 2012 HR Florida Conference & Expo from HR Florida State Council, Orlando, August 27-29, 2012.
- "Family & Medical Leave - New Considerations for Employers." Presenter, HR Florida 2011 Conference & Expo from HR Florida State Council, Orlando, August 29-31, 2011.
- "Practicing with Professionalism." Presenter, Seminar from The Florida Bar, 2005.
- Jones v. Asset Acceptance, LLC.Not Reported in F.Supp.2d 2008 WL 4080269 8:07-CV-02382T24MSS
United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. August 28, 2008
- FusionStorm, Inc. v. Presidio Networked Solutions, Inc.F.Supp.2d 2012 WL 1854277 8:11-CV-1969-T-33AEP
United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. May 21, 2012