Dave Felman has practiced banking, corporate, and securities law in Tampa and New York City. While with Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York, his practice focused on acquisitions and public and private securities offerings, including representation of a major leveraged buy-out firm and several major underwriting firms. Dave's practice principally involves securities offerings, venture capital investments, mergers and acquisitions, and representation of public, established and emerging growth companies. He acts as counsel to a number of institutional venture capital and private equity investors, including Lovett Miller & Co., Ballast Point Venture Partners, HealthEdge Investment Fund, Supply Chain Equity Partners and Stonehenge Capital.
Dave acts as counsel to public companies with respect to securities and governance matters, including defensive measures, Exchange Act reports, SRO requirements, audit and compensation committee practices, annual meetings, and general advice to Boards of Directors.
He is a founder and the principal organizer of The Florida Directors’ Institute, an annual full-day program on corporate governance for public company directors. Dave is a past chair and on the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of the Florida Venture Forum. He has chaired The Florida Bar’s Business Law Section, its Corporations and Securities Law Committee, and committees responsible for drafting laws governing Florida corporations and guidelines for legal opinions. He continues to serve on the Executive Council of the Business Law Section. Dave is a co-chair of the annual Southeastern Private Equity and M&A Forum in Atlanta, Georgia. He also serves as a faculty member of the annual Federal Securities Institute, a two-day program in Miami, and has spoken at seminars throughout the United States regarding securities offerings and compliance, private equity capital raising transactions, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and lending deals.
Dave and his wife Judy have three sons, Matt, Jake and Daniel. He enjoys fishing and playing chess.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions (#1 ranking) (2003-2021)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Private Equity (#1 ranking)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2021)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (2004, 2008-2010, 2012, 2018-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (1997-2021)
- 2018 Tampa Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year
- 2016 Tampa Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year
- 2015 Tampa Banking and Finance Law Lawyer of the Year
- 2014 Tampa Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Lawyer of the Year
- 2012 Tampa Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year
- Corporate law
- Venture Capital law
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private equity law
- Mergers & Acquisitions law
- Private Funds law
Credentials & Experience
Wake Forest University, B.A., 1979, magna cum laude: Phi Beta Kappa
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1982, Distinction: Order of the Coif
American Bar Association
- Federal Securities Committee
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee
The Florida Bar
- Business Law Section
- Former Chair
- Executive Council Member
Hillsborough County Bar Association
Recent deals include representing:
- Chris Craft in its sale to Winnebago Industries, Inc. (NYSE: WGO)
- Superior Group of Companies, Inc. (NASDAQ: SGC) in its acquisition of CID Resources, Inc.
- PowerDMS in the significant equity investment made by Frontier Capital
- Symmetry Office, LLC in its sale to Exemplis LLC
- Snavely Forest Products in its sale to Weekes Forest Products
- Global Software in its acquisition by Thomson Street Capital Partners
- Florida Foods in its acquisition by Kainos Capital
- SRI/Surgical Express (Nasdaq: STRC) in its acquisition by Synergy Health
- Technology Research Corporation (Nasdaq: TRCI) in its acquisition by Coleman Cable, Inc. (Nasdaq: CCIX)
- Dispensing Solutions, Inc., a HealthEdge portfolio company, in its purchase by PSS World Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: PSSI)
- Aerosonic Corporation (NYSE MKT: AIM) in its acquisition by Transdigm Group Incorporated (NYSE: TDG)
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Wake Forest University Advisory Council on Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship
- Hyde Park Presbyterian Church: Former Elder
- Florida Venture Forum
- Board of Directors
- Chairman (2013-2014)
- Vice Chairman
- Executive Committee
- Board of Directors
- Florida Directors Institute
- Principal organizer
- Florida Bar Business Law Section
- Section Chair (2000-2001)
- Chair, Corporations and Securities Law Committee (1992-1994)
- Chair, Opinions Committee (1998-2000)
News & Insights
- 6.23.21Firm News
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 6.22.20Firm News
- 6.5.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 6.24.19Firm News
- 4.25.19Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 7.2.18Firm News
- 6.25.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 6.8.17Firm News
- 5.26.17Firm News
- 4.20.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.15.16Firm News
- 6.13.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 6.11.15Firm News
- 5.19.15Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 7.15.13Firm News
- 6.14.13Firm News
- 1.25.13Firm News
- 11.7.12Firm News
- 7.31.12Firm News
- 7.6.12Firm News
- 3.28.12Firm News
- 3.20.12Firm News
- 2.15.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- "Developments in Private Equity and Venture Capital Deals." 2017 Federal Securities Institute, Miami, FL.
- "View From the Private Equity Funds." 2016 Southeastern Private Equity & M&A Forum, Atlanta, GA.
- "Using Report Warranties Insurance to Gain a Strategic Advantage."2016 Federal Securities Institute, Miami, FL.
- "Developments in Private Equity Transactions." 2015 Federal Securities Institute, Miami, FL.
- Strategic Investors/ Acquirers Panel, 2014 Florida Venture Forum, Orlando, FL.
- "Developments in Private Equity M&A Transactions." 2014 Federal Securities Institute, Miami, FL.
- "Private Equity Roundtable," 2013 Southeastern M&A/ Private Equity Forum, Atlanta, GA.
- "Break-ups, Bear-hugs, and Go-shops; Responding to a Hostile Approach and Selling a Public Company." 2012 Southeastern Private Equity and M&A Forum.
- "Break-ups, Bear-hugs, and Go-shops; Responding to a Hostile Approach and Selling a Public Company." 2012 NACD National Leadership Conference, National Harbor, MD.
- "Fads in Venture Capital Term Sheets." 2012 Florida Venture Forum, Naples, FL.
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA. Legal rankings are based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. Individual lawyers are ranked in their practice area(s) based on legal knowledge and experience, ability, effectiveness and client service.
"He is very knowledgeable, very detail-oriented and brings a business-practical approach." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021
"He is very client-focused and definitely a client advocate. He is super smart and good at building relationships with clients." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021