With three decades of experience, Ed Armstrong has obtained approval for many of the most complex development projects in Pinellas County.
Ed is co-chair of the firm’s Land Use group for Pinellas County. He regularly represents national and local developers, public and private, with interests in the Tampa Bay area. Ed often serves as local general counsel to these clients. He also represents several high-profile clients who have significant interactions with local governments. He is based in the firm’s Clearwater office.
In 2014, Governor Rick Scott appointed Ed to the Southwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board where he served until 2019. In 2020, he was reappointed by Governor Ron DeSantis to a four-year term. Ed also served on the Board of Trustees for BayCare Health System for 15 years. He served as chair of the BayCare Medical Group from 2017 – 2019 and continues to serve on the finance committee.
Ed was named to the 2018 Florida 500 by Florida Trend magazine as one of the state's most influential Floridians. He has been ranked in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in the field of Zoning and Land Use law in Florida since 2014.
Outside the office, Ed enjoys playing golf.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Real Estate: Zoning / Land Use (2014-2021)
- Florida Trend Florida 500 (2018)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2021)
Credentials & Experience
University of Maryland, B.S., 1979, cum laude
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1982
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
Clearwater Bar Association
Representative projects include:
- Obtaining the development approval of several of the largest and most expensive hotel and residential properties along the Pinellas coastline.
- The $200 million expansion and upgrading of a large hospital.
- Obtaining the development approval of a 300,000 square foot Corporate Headquarters.
- The representation of Pinellas County’s private ambulance service provider.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Southwest Florida Water Management District - Governing Board: Treasurer
- BayCare Health System - Board of Trustees
- Member, Finance Committee
- Bank of Tampa - Pinellas County Advisory Board
- Clearwater Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Mr. Clearwater (2014)
- Board Chairman (2000)
- Morton Plant Mease Healthcare System: Board Chairman (2010-2012)
- Tampa Preparatory School: Trustee
News & Insights
- 5.20.21Firm News
- 10.9.20Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 4.23.20Firm News
- 4.25.19Firm News
- 9.17.18Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 5.26.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 6.13.16Firm News
- 10.8.15Firm News
- 6.18.15Firm News
- 6.1.15Firm News
- 5.19.15Firm News
- 6.23.14Firm News
- 4.30.13Firm News
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA. Legal rankings are based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. Individual lawyers are ranked in their practice area(s) based on legal knowledge and experience, ability, effectiveness and client service.
"He's a consummate professional who always provides sound and prudent guidance." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021
"He went to great lengths to help us navigate a process and ultimately achieve our desired outcome." Client quote, Chambers USA 2021