Robert Shimberg earns his clients’ respect by listening, understanding their immediate needs and honing in to solve issues in an extremely responsive manner.
Robert’s primary areas of practice include commercial litigation, corporate compliance, cybersecurity, governmental relations and corporate investigations and representing clients under investigation by local and state administrative, regulatory and criminal agencies. Robert is also leading the firm’s COVID-19 Response Team and advising clients on a number of related issues including government orders, workplace issues, liability-related issues and crisis management and communication. Robert was formerly a prosecutor with the Hillsborough County State Attorney's Office.
Robert led the effort to modify the Florida LAW RISC to include the Seller’s Right to Cancel language and incorporate the conditional delivery form into the RISC. He has provided compliance-related services and training to over 300 businesses around the country. He has defended businesses against consumer claims, class action lawsuits, and provided representation in connection with government agency inquiries and investigations and conducts internal investigations. He works extensively with automobile dealerships in Florida and throughout the country on proactive compliance and litigation in areas including sales, F&I, advertising, recalls, warranty audits, TCPA, ADA, accounting and pay plan disputes. He is a frequent speaker on compliance-related topics to industry groups and associations.
Robert assists clients from a variety of sectors in navigating responses to data breaches and cyber and ransomware attacks, including: initial assessment, response options, liaison with law enforcement, asset recovery, customer notice, interaction with third-party resources, and litigation. He understands the time-sensitive nature surrounding data breaches and cyber-attacks and is responsive and available to assist at all hours.
He also helps businesses in bid protests and has handled protests for clients against Florida state agencies, counties, cities, school boards and a state judicial circuit.
Robert’s practice also encompasses counseling high net worth individuals and helping them navigate both business and personal legal issues that may arise.
He has hosted a number of compliance programs on topics including: “Recalls,” “Conducting Business with Senior Citizen Customers,” “Advertising,” “Employee Theft,” "Addressing Protests and Employee Safety on your Property," and "Cybersecurity Threats & Data Breaches: How to Prepare, Protect and Respond."
Outside the office, he enjoys spending time with his wife and family. He and his wife mentor local teens and work with and support a number of initiatives on behalf of teens and young adults.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Jimmy Kynes Award
- Red McEwen Award
- Most Productive Young Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2021)
- 2021 Tampa Administrative/Regulatory Lawyer of the Year
- 2019 Tampa Administrative/Regulatory Law Lawyer of the Year
- 2016 Tampa Administrative/Regulatory Law Lawyer of the Year
- 2012 Tampa Administrative / Regulatory Law Lawyer of the Year
Credentials & Experience
University of Florida, B.A., B.S., 1984
University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 1989, Honors: Moot Court
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
All Florida State Courts
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Established internal corporate compliance infrastructure and compliance committees for client corporations.
Clients represented include those in: Financial services, retail, restaurant groups, manufacturing, sales, automobile dealerships, law firms, and individuals.
- Assisted businesses in navigating data breaches, interaction with law enforcement, notice to state agencies, challenges in trial and appellate court.
- Assisted businesses victimized by ransomware attacks.
- Recovered funds for clients victimized by business email compromise events.
- Successfully challenged and defended intended award of state agencies, local governments and school districts.
- Successfully challenged in circuit and appellate courts scope of agency jurisdiction under FL Statute Ch. 120.
- Successfully challenged Request for Proposal (RFP) by state agency for $100M+ proposed contract.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Pro-Bono Board Attorney for the Jackson House Foundation
- Transition Team for Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi (Nov. 2011-Jan. 2012): Economic Crimes/Consumer Protection
- Metropolitan Ministries (2008-2016): Board Member; Chair
- Meals on Wheels (2018-Present)
- Board Member
- Capital Campaign Committee
- Tampa Police Citizens Review, Past Board Member
- More Health: Champion Award
- Men of Vision Game Changer Award 2017
- Cox Media January 2018 Community Hero
News & Insights
- 2.5.21Media Mention
- 2.5.21Media Mention
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 1.31.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 5.19.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 3.2.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 8.4.14Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 5.23.13Speaking Engagement
- 7.31.12Firm News
- 3.27.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
- Advertising Do's and Don'ts - Protecting Yourself from the AG, the FTC and Your Competitors - by Robert Shimberg & Todd Clarke
- Employee Theft Webinar - by Robert Shimberg
- Recognizing Potential Pitfalls in Sales Pay Plans and Avoiding Litigation - by Robert Shimberg
- Automotive Recalls Issues for the Dealership - by Robert Shimberg
- Cybersecurity Threats & Data Breaches: How to Prepare, Protect, and Respond.
- Fudge v. Avenues Motors, Ltd.77 So.3d 183 (Table, Text in WESTLAW), Unpublished Disposition 2012 WL 75795 1D11-2086
District Court of Appeal of Florida, First District. January 09, 2012
- Precision Shooting Equipment, Inc. v. Golden Eagle Industries, LLCNot Reported in F.Supp.2d 2005 WL 1669120 8:00-450CIV-T17TGW
United States District Court, M.D. Florida. July 08, 2005
- U.S. ex rel. Alderson v. Quorum Health Group, Inc.Not Reported in F.Supp.2d 2008 WL 824227 8:99-CV-413-T-23TGW
United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. March 26, 2008
- Williams v. Gaffin Indus. Services, Inc.88 So.3d 1027 2012 WL 1889284 2D10-2552
District Court of Appeal of Florida, Second District. May 25, 2012
- U.S. ex rel. Alderson v. Quorum Health Group, Inc.171 F.Supp.2d 1323 2001 WL 1480549 8:99-CV-413-T-23TGW
United States District Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. November 08, 2001
- In re Paul A. Nelson, P.A.203 B.R. 756 1996 WL 732093 95-4614-8G7
United States Bankruptcy Court, M.D. Florida, Tampa Division. October 22, 1996