With over 20 years of experience in the area of employee benefits, Kirsten Vignec helps her clients navigate complex regulatory requirements through her ability to explain the issues in layman’s terms.
Kirsten is chair of the Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits Group. Her practice involves advising and counseling employers on all employee benefit matters. Kirsten’s clients include tax-exempt entities, for-profit, private, and publicly-traded companies.
She regularly counsels employers with regards to the design, maintenance and ongoing administration of executive deferred compensation plans for profit and tax exempt entities, health and welfare plans and qualified retirement plans. Kirsten represents clients before the IRS, DOL, and the PBGC with respect to audits, investigations and plan corrections. She provides employers with advice on complying with its fiduciary responsibilities and best practices with regards to plan governance. Kirsten also provides support with respect to employee benefit matters for clients that are involved in corporate transactions.
Outside the office, Kirsten enjoys spending time with her husband and two teenage daughters.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyer, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2022-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2010-2023)
Credentials & Experience
James Madison University, B.B.A., 1991
George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1997
American Bar Association
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
The State Bar of California
The District of Columbia Bar
- Advise multinational clients on benefit requirements for ongoing employee transfers in and out of the United States.
- Assisted a client post-merger in the consolidation of the health and welfare plans, Section 403(b) and Section 401(a) plans, Section 457(b) plans and frozen pension plans.
- Advise clients on compliance issues relating to COBRA. HIPAA, ACA reporting and disclosure.
- Amend client plans to comply with changes in the law and provide related updated to plan materials.
- Provide comprehensive advice to clients on employee benefit matters and the effect of COVID leaves and furloughs.
- Regularly assist clients in navigating retirement plan qualification corrections through the IRS’ Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS).
- Respond to penalty assessments under the employer shared responsibility provisions of the Affordable Care Act on behalf of clients.
- Provide fiduciary training to employers and employee benefit plan committees.
- Assist clients in developing best practices as it relates to plan governance, including establishing committees and drafting committee charters and investment policy statements.
- Address due diligence and employee benefit transition matters for clients involved in corporate transactions.
Professional & Civic
Community & Professional
- Alliance for Independence: Board of Directors
- American Bar Association: Tax Section
- The Florida Bar: Tax Section
News & Insights
- 6.1.23Firm News
- 8.18.22Firm News
- 12.8.21Firm News
- 8.19.21Firm News
- 9.30.20Firm News
- 8.26.20Firm News
- 8.20.20Firm News
- 8.16.18Firm News
- 8.15.17Firm News
- 8.15.16Firm News
- 8.17.15Firm News
- 8.30.13Firm News
- 8.1.12Firm News
- 7.31.12Firm News
- 5.2.12Firm News
Articles & Publications
"Urban Legends: Health and Welfare Benefit Plan Myths and the Stories Behind Them" Health Benefits Conference and Expo, January 2019
"Do You Really Know Who Has the Authority to Make Plan Decisions?" 2017 HR Florida Conference and Expo.
QDROs Demand the Attention of CPAs. (September 30, 2016). 2016 Accounting and Business Show on behalf of Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA).
ERISA Reality Check: Top ERISA Myths and the Real Stores Behind Them. (August 29, 2016). 2016 HR Florida Conference & Expo.
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA. Legal rankings are based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. Individual lawyers are ranked in their practice area(s) based on legal knowledge and experience, ability, effectiveness and client service.
"She handles all issues in a prompt and thorough manner." "Kirsten and her team greatly help navigate the complexity and nuances of our benefit plans." Client quote, Chambers USA 2023
"She is very capable." Client quote, Chambers USA 2022